It’s honestly so easy to get caught up in the shopping craze of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Rather than purchasing the thing everyone has, I prefer to stick to closet staples I’ll reach for and wear across multiple seasons, again and again. Below I’m sharing some of the items I view as wardrobe essentials that will truly work well in any (casual chic) closet. I’ve personally already purchased several of these and will be sharing more about fit and styling options in the coming days.
1. Felt Hat — One of the easiest accessories to make your fall look feel more “done.” I love this blush tone for something feminine.
2. Long Sleeve Knit Top — Versatile for every season, a classic white knit will pair with everything in your closet. Wear with denim shorts for summertime or layer up with cardigans and coats into fall and winter. I love the subtle ribbed detail on this one and the black and grey are also classic options for your closet.
3. Plaid Blazer — This style adds structure and also elevates your basics. I purchased my first plaid blazer in the fall of last year and have worn it with everything from mini skirts and sneakers to the pumpkin patch, black denim and printed flats and something a bit more summer-ready (jeans, white tee and strappy heels) for date night. The menswear or boyfriend style is relaxed yet polished and I personally always prefer one with a bit of stretch!
4. Lace Camisole — Whether dressed up with a blazer or worn casually with a cardigan, lace camisoles in black and white work well for work, day and date night. Pair with the cardigan for something casual or the plaid blazer to dress it up.
5. Neutral Duster Cardigan — You will wear a duster cardigan any time of year. From morning coffee to walks with the dogs, in the office and cuddled up on the couch, I highly recommend having one in both light grey and a neutral tone like oatmeal. They go with everything and feel instantly effortless with denim and a white, grey, black, printed (basically any) tee.
6. Skinny Jeans in Light Wash — The perfect base for any casual-chic outfit. I love a high rise that makes tucking shirts a bit easier. Pair these with a lace cami in any color and add the plaid blazer for girls night or throw on the cardigan for day-to-day errands.
7. Nude Flats — Another style to slip on with any outfit to feel instantly more put together. A pointed toe helps elongate the leg line and the mock-slingback heel on this pair has a similar, sleek effect.
8. Satin Button-Up Blouse — This pajama top style mixes up your everyday blouses just enough yet still feels classic and effortless. Pair with denim in any style and wash or even trousers for the office.
9. Straight Leg Denim — There’s something so effortless about a straight leg in a lighter wash, especially in the summer months. Call them “Mom Jeans” if you want but you’ll love this style with white sneakers, flats or booties.
10. Trench Coat — Elevate your rainy day outfit with this classic piece. I love how this particular one has a removable hood because they don’t always and this truly makes it practical for rainy days.
11. Printed D’orsay Flats — For when your neutral outfit needs just the right amount of interest, a pair of printed flats does the job in a way that feels classic and not overdone. This is another style (the d’orsay) that looks very flattering on the foot. I can’t wait to try these with both black and blue denim into fall for the perfect “pop" to any basic look.
12. Black Skinny Jeans — Black denim is an easy basic that also adds a subtle edge to any outfit. I love pairing mine with a striped tee and denim jacket or try it with the white lace cami and cardigan for a comfy-cool outfit.
As always, thank you so much for reading!